Tuesday, March 26, 2019

The dreaded PROM

And so now, i’ve become “that mom”. I honestly never thought i would, my boys are perfectly capable of making friends and having really good people to watch out for them. Unfortunately, my middle child has made choices and done things this year that have put him in a terrible position. He typically doesn’t even like school dances, but because he is a Junior and all the focus has been on PROM, he wants to go.
Honestly, he may get there and stay for 10 minutes, or an hour. But who knows! He has asked close to 5 different people to go with him and they have all said no. I see all of these posts about people raising above and beyond to do great things for their classmates and i’ve been a huge proponent of my town and how great the kids are here, but honestly i have had ONE friend say that maybe her kid could go as a “group” and invite my child. No one else.
And how does that make me feel? Let alone how it makes Rhett feel? Honestly, Rhett is not always a nice person, he loves drama, he creates drama. But, he is a kid that just wants to go to prom, and i as his mom can’t “make” someone go with him.
I had a friend from TEXAS reach out and ask if there was anything she could do, because of course Rhett even asked on a fragile x group for help finding a prom date.
Honestly , it makes me feel like maybe i don’t know the community i’ve chosen to raise my kids in, and maybe for a minute i thought people were a little bit better than they really are. Mostly it makes me sad, because in a world where a kid just wants the “Prom” experience, there is no one willing to help or even offer to help.
I get it, this is his own doing to a point, but it is also, unfortunately, what has been done to him.
To most people, he is happy and fun and caring, i just hate that this will take a little bit more of that away from him. And so this is the time that “Holland” seems less fun, when all the things you have been building for as a parent just go wrong, and when you feel just so alone.  Please, if you know someone who wants to go to prom, who may have a hard time finding a date, who might be an outsider or not “cool”, don’t forget them, don’t make them feel less than, don’t make them feel like a failure. Be a good person, invite them along. It would solve a whole lot of depression and heartache.
So, what do i do? As a mom, do i just say, “sorry about your luck?”, or do i say “well, people are shitty”?, or do i just say...” it’s not worth all of this stress” I honestly don’t know and for once it is absolutely something i can not “fix” for him.
And so, for the first time since 5th grade, I am once again a helpless mom, that can’t even help my child if i try. And that, makes me sad for him and his future.


1 comment:

  1. I understand his frustration and for that I am sorry. Hugs and prayers he finds friends who see the truth of his heart.

    ReplyDelete