Friday, January 16, 2015

Why a blog?

"Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will" - Suzy Kassem

Years.....that is how long I have thought about writing a blog. Every time I would even look into it, I would get scared, start to doubt myself and then shut down. Every few months I would think of it again, and every single time, I talked myself out of it. What if no one likes it? Who cares what I think? What in the world will I have to say to people? If I ever got past those questions then I would get to...What in the world should I name it? Pages and pages of random words, phrases, and doodles. When I would finally find a name I liked, I would type it in and find that it was already taken. Then I would again give up.
So, this constant cycle has been going on for the past 9 years (at least). Finally, I am taking the plunge. I am putting myself out there, I am exposing myself to the public, and I finally found a NAME!!! Of course I am worried, I worry a lot, but I figure some people will like it, some will not. And really in the big scheme of things.....so what?
And so.....it begins!
I am a mom from a very small town in Kansas. I love to write. I have kept a journal since age 14, I write random facebook notes, and the occasional letter to the editor to our local paper. I have been blessed to have some amazing influences in my life, whether they realize how big their impact is/was or not. I have a very supportive husband who has worked very hard so that I could stay home with our children (for the past 14 years). I recently obtained my real estate license, and so we are adjusting to me not being home 24/7. We have 3 sons.
Our oldest son is 16, he is a sophmore in high school. He loves being on the high school football team. He drives, paid for his own car (half of it) last year with money he had earned from mowing yards in the summer, now he has a job at our local newspaper, he is sweet and kind and smiles all the time.
Our middle son is 13, he is in 7th grade. He has an adult sense of humor (and mouth to go with it). He is amazing, he is involved in many different clubs at school. He loves to watch Ellen and CNN to get his news and updates on pop culture.
I also have a 6 year old son (almost 7), he is in 1st grade. He is full of energy, he plays soccer, and baseball. I'm sure he will also play football when he is old enough. He is my baby, and he is spoiled rotten. He's too cute for his own good and he has full knowledge of this.
This year we also  have a 17 year old son from Brasil (he is here with an exchange program). He adds a different dimension to our little family. He does very well in school, has fit in well with the boys at home and has made some good friends at school.
We also have a little Corgi. She is just a little ball of fun. Very demanding, thinks every visitor has come to play fetch with her.
Oh yes, and our two oldest sons have Fragile X Syndrome, a genetic condition that causes intellectual disability, behavioral and learning challenges. Fragile X is the only known genetic cause of autism. Disabilities in FXS include a range from moderate learning disabilities to more severe intellectual disabilities. I am sure I will write A LOT about Fragile X, it is a large part of our lives. But, it is not our whole life and it certainly does not define any of us. 
As you can imagine I have plenty to talk about with all of this going on, my journals prove it. I thank you for letting me share my thoughts, crazy ideas, and opinions with you.

"What if I fall?" Oh but my darling, What if you fly?” Erin Hanson

2 comments:

  1. FIRST COMMENT!! Congrats on starting a blog! Now I can finally comment on all your happenings! The fact that you had 21 page views BEFORE you even wrote a post says something I think. I know you will continue to see that number just go up and up and up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading some of your blogs. You write really well

    ReplyDelete